Better Business Bureau Accredited Business
Lanz Cabinets has been accredited by the Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington chapter of the Better Business Bureau. As a BBB accredited business we are putting our name forward as a company that takes responsibility not only for our business, but also for the business practices of our industry. The BBB Code of Business Practices represents sound advertising, selling and customer service practices that enhance customer trust and confidence in business. Lanz Cabinets has earned a BBB rating of A+ on a scale of A+ to F. Please visit the BBB Website to view the Lanz Cabinets profile and to learn more about the Better Business Bureau.
Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association (KCMA)
Performance Testing & Certification Program
Lanz Cabinets multi-family line cabinets are certified to by the KCMA to ANSI/KCMA A161.1, Performance & Construction Standard for Kitchen and Vanity Cabinets. This program is referenced by many agencies, architects, and builders. Only cabinet lines that have passed this rigorous testing criteria may have the KCMA Certified Cabinet Seal.
Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP)
Lanz Cabinets is certified by the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturer Association's (KCMA) Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP). The Environmental Stewardship Program is a voluntary program that is awarded to companies that demonstrate a commitment to sound environmental practices. This is an award that must be applied for annually.
To earn this award a company must show compliance in five categories:
For our cabinet box we use low formaldehyde or no-added urea formaldehyde particleboard, medium density fiberboard or plywood, based on our customer’s requirements.
For the single family cabinet line the cabinet finish is a customized version of Sherwin-Williams® HAP free SHER-WOOD® Water White Conversion Varnish which exceeds the Federal HAPs rule for wood finishes.
For our multi-family cabinet line we use Sherwin-Williams® Ultra-Cure® UV Waterborne Finishing Technology. This finish is a part of Sherwin-Williams’ GreenSure initiative. Some of the benefits of this technology are:
- No reportable HAP's
- Low VOC's
- No outgassing and is free of formaldehyde and heavy metals
Product Resource Management
Lanz Cabinets uses only particleboard and MDF that is manufactured using recycled or recovered fiber content and has been certified by the Composite Panel Association and an Environmentally Preferable Product.
Process Resource Management
Lanz Cabinets recycles all of its wood waste for use as post secondary products or as alternative energy sources.
In 1999 we began our Solvent Recycling Program. We distill all of the waste solvent thereby separating the usable solvent from the solids. We have also switched from solvent based finishes to water base finishes thereby reducing the amount of hazardous waste. For year end 2009 we have reduced the amount of hazardous waste by 67% from 2006.
In 2008 we started our recycling program by recycling all of our office paper, cardboard, plastic, and metal. This has reduced the amount of waste being disposed of in a landfill by 25% and our recycling efforts have just begun.
Lanz Cabinets Environmental Statement:
Lanz Cabinets believes that we are only guests on this earth and therefore we are committed in conducting business in a fashion that safeguards the earth, our employees, customers, and neighbors from environment hazards. We do this by educating ourselves and working with our suppliers to identify and use sustainable and environmentally friendly products. We use the latest technology to reduce waste of materials, conserve energy, and limit both hazardous and non-hazardous emissions. We encourage recycling and the use of recycled products. We are, as we have been, committed to continuous improvement of our processes and systems so we can reduce the impact that we make on the earth.
Lanz Cabinets Environmental Initiatives:
- In an effort to reduce hazardous waste we started recycling solvent.
- We started using UV Finishes. This process reduced the amount of product being released as an air pollutant.
- Lanz Cabinets started using optimizer technology in the cutting of face frame material, maximizing material consumption of our solid stock face frame material.
- We started using optimizer technology in cutting melamine door and drawer faces resulting in a better yield of panel material.
- We retrofitted the lighting in our manufacturing facility converting from metal halide to T/8 fluorescent lights, thereby reducing the amount of electricity consumed.
- Incorporated variable drive 50 and 200HP air compressors. These only produce and use HP on a supply and demand base resulting in a 40% savings in power.
- Implemented a policy requiring that all 25HP and larger motors and machines we buy, use soft start technology. This means when a machine starts it does not create a surge of power, resulting in smoother and cleaner consumption.
- Lanz Cabinets purchased an automatic rip saw resulting in improvements in the utilization of lumber products. This is accomplished by using the machines software to calculate the most efficient way to cut the lumber to result in the greatest yield.
- We switched from solvent based UV finishes to water-base UV finishes with no HAP’s and only traces of VOC’s.
- Retrofitted our Building 1 dust collection with return socks which returns the heated air back into the building rather than discharging it. This was also included in the purchase of the new Building 3 dust collection system.
- Lanz Cabinets began working with Lane County by implementing the Lane County Master Recycling Program. All office paper, cardboard, metal, and plastic is being recycled.
- Year end 2008 we show a 81% reduction in the amount of VOCs since 2006 and a 67% reduction in the disposal of hazardous waste while increasing production an average of 12% per year during that same time period.
We give back to the communities in which we do business through donations to various schools, and a wide variety of community and not-for-profit organizations.
Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) Chain-Of-Custody Certification
Lanz Cabinets is certified by SCS as a Forest Stewardship Council® Chain-Of-Custody supplier. Lanz Cabinets uses the percentage system for determining the FSC® claim. As such, Lanz Cabinets can supply FSC® Mixed cabinets.